Our client is the philanthropic arm of a tourism group operating in Zambia and Madagascar. We are present in all four locations where we have lodges: Liuwa Plain, Lower Zambezi and South Luangwa in Zambia and on the island of Nosy Ankao and adjacent mainland in Madagascar.
Our focus as an organisation is on generating educational and economic outcomes for children and families who have been historically unsupported by available social services. Through academic, social, physical, and cognitive support, we work with traditionally under-valued children – such as girls and those with special needs – to enter, remain and progress in formal schools.
In conjunction with the our tourism brand, we aim to enhance the quality of life for local communities that live in and adjacent to national parks, mirroring the direct economic investment from the lodges with educational interventions that yield high social returns.
Our client is looking for a dynamic and motivated Accountant to fit into our evolving team. The Accountant will be responsible for the overall finance and accounting function of the foundation.
The role will include but not be limited to:
- Implementing the current financial management systems across all four sites
- Reviewing expense logs from sites
- Uploading to Quickbooks and generating monthly management accounts
- Ensuring that the organisation has clear and real time understanding of the financial status and funding position of our programmes
- Adapting systems as and when required
- Analysing financial information
- Producing donor-specific reports when required
- Processing payments when required
- Spotting errors and suggesting ways of improving efficiency
- Budgeting, and providing support to members of the team performing financial management duties
The role will also include the financial administration of the organisation in all countries, which includes researching and becoming familiar with the relevant tax procedures, tax-benefits for nonprofit organisations, any other relevant country-specific financial requirements, as well as managing the auditing process in Mauritius, Madagascar and Zambia.
The accountant will be instrumental in improving financial policies, procedures and management systems and will support the organisation for strategic growth.
- A degree in accounting and/or qualified ACCA
- Minimum 5 years working experience
- Familiarity and interest in working with a non-profit organisation.
- Experience with nonprofit and donor accounting procedures will be an advantage
- Fluency in English and French (Excellent English writing/grammar skills, with ability to deliver efficiently and eloquently on report writing and communication tasks)
- Proficiency with Quickbooks (both desktop and online) and knowledge of other accounting software
- Excellent leadership and management skills with ability to map, develop and manage diverse employee relationships
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Strong analytical skills
- Extremely organized, efficient and ability to remain focused in completing tasks
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and multitask
- Ability to work independently, manage budgets and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to work with and learn from people of greatly diverse backgrounds (lifestyle, religion, sexuality, gender identity, socio-economic status, educational levels, ethnicity, and nationality)
- Experience working with multicultural and multi-linguistic teams and environments
- Experience managing a team and mentoring/building capacity
This will be a full-time position based in Mauritius, reporting to the Executive Director. Occasional travel to Zambia or Madagascar may be required.
We are looking for a candidate who is eager to learn about financial processes in all relevant Southern African countries where we operate (and these may expand over time). Compensation will be based on candidate’s professional experience.
The candidate is requested to be flexible with the role and be prepared to adapt daily.